latino lingo

All things related to effective Hispanic marketing, Hispanic advertising and Hispanic public relations.

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

A-Rod picks U.S. over Dominican Republic

Well, he finally made up his mind ... Alex Rodriguez of the NY Yankees will play for the U.S. in the World Baseball Classic as a gesture to "honor his American citizenship," according to an AP article that's on MSNBC.com.

So does this mean he's "dishonoring" his Dominican roots? You might think I'm being harsh here but heed A-Rod's own words when he first said he was pulling out of the Classic:

"After thoughtful deliberations with my family, I am announcing my decision to withdraw from the World Baseball Classic," A-Rod told The New York Post. "When faced with the decision to choose between my country, the United States of America, and my Dominican heritage, I decided I will not dishonor either."

Further, does he also imply he won't take the game too seriously when he dons the red, white and blue? Again, A-Rod in his own words:

“I think the Latino teams are going to have a major advantage. I think that American team might take it more like an exhibition and these guys are kind of playing for their religion down there, the pride of their country.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home