latino lingo

All things related to effective Hispanic marketing, Hispanic advertising and Hispanic public relations.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Hispanic reconnection to heritage increasing

A new Yankelovich study revealed that Hispanics (and African Americans) are reconnecting with their roots more than at any other time in the past.

The Yankelovich MONITOR Multicultural Marketing Study 2006 also showed that trust in government remained positive for Hispanics while it declined for African Americans. Yet, both groups still have strong trust in brands.

According to their release on Business Wire and covered in AdWeek and BrandWeek, among others, more than ever before, both Hispanics and African Americans place great emphasis on keeping culture alive and staying connected to heritage:
-- 67% of African Americans and 71% of Hispanics (versus 43% of Non-Hispanic Whites) say, "My roots and heritage are more important to me today than they were just five years ago."
-- 56% of Hispanics and 59% of African Americans (versus 22% of Non-Hispanic Whites) say, they "make a great effort to become more connected with my heritage."
-- 85% of Hispanics say they "consider myself to be Hispanic first, American second or consider myself to be both American and Hispanic equally."

Among Hispanics, a stronger than ever re-connection to Hispanic roots is driving retro-acculturation and contributing to a larger bi-cultural and bilingual segment of the U.S. Hispanic population.

In addition, the release says the study shows that despite the recent immigration debates and other stories that have influenced trust and comfort, both ethnic groups maintain high trust in brands, especially name brands:
-- 58% of Hispanics and 55% of African American (versus 41% of Non-Hispanic Whites) say, "It is risky to buy a brand you are not familiar with."
-- When asked the likelihood of doing the following activities if your family suddenly found itself with less money: Only 42% of African Americans and 40% of Hispanics (versus 62% of Non-Hispanic Whites) say they would "buy private label and generic brands."

Finally, the study showed that family and community come first . According to the study, both Hispanics and African Americans seek their nuclear and extended families' advice, guidance and support in most matters.

-- Nearly half said, "when it comes to important things in my life, I almost always seek the opinion of my extended family members," compared to 33% of Non-Hispanic Whites.
-- Almost two-thirds (60%) of Hispanics (compared to 45% of African Americans and 48% of Non-Hispanics Whites) say, "In my family, we discuss everyday things together before making a decision."
-- Nearly half of African Americans (42%) and 35% of Hispanics say, "I believe my children will take care of me when I am older, so I don't need to worry about having enough savings and investments to support myself in that stage of my life," compared to just 21% of Non-Hispanics Whites.

I've spoken about to many about how culture is an increadibly important notion to consider in Hispanic marketing. Marketers can't rely on language alone. More directly, an approach focused on translations to Spanish will only take you so far, if it even takes you anywhere in the right direction.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home